7 Questions with Greg Selkoe, Founder of Karmaloop

PA would like to take this opportunity to thank Greg Selkoe, Founder and C.E.O. of Karmaloop for sitting down with us and allowing us to pick at his brain. Greg is one hell of a guy, named one of the 25 Most Stylish Bostonians of 2009 with a Harvard Masters in his hand, it seems he's got it all figured out and we are honored that he gave us the time of day; what a humble, down to earth dude.

It's no surprise that Karmaloop is the largest online streetwear retailer in the world. Anyone that knows anything about fashion knows Karmaloop. It is currently the 1,500th most visited website in America and the 7,000th worldwide, racking up more than 1.5 million unique visitors each month, Karmaloop is known worldwide as the hub of "concete culture" and for Profound Aesthetic, it is an honor to be "Seller of the Week" on their Men's Blog (Read the Full Article, including the interview).

For Greg, Karmaloop isn't just a place to buy the freshes gear, it's a place that connects communties, even cultures; it's an opportunity to determine what's new, what's cool, and what's essential, whether his customer is a 25-year-old graphic designer in Tokyo or 17-year-old hip-hop artist in Roxbury. I spent one night googling Greg and I came across articles upon articles, interviews upon interviews about the genius that is this man behind the loop. Check out the full interview and then get inspired by googling him and reading about his American Dream:

1. How did you come up with the name Karmaloop? What was your biggest influence or who gave you the push to start Karmaloop.

I called it Karmaloop because I had no money and no idea what the site was going to look like or be named..a friend of mine based the initial design off the Buddhist symbol for Karma which looks like a looping motion so we thought hey Karmaloop that sounds like a good name and I guess we were right. Russell Simmons was a huge influence on me and a hero as a young kid..it has been amazing to get to meet and work with him in my adult life...No one pushed me to do Karmaloop it came all on the dolo..but my Dad was a big supporter from day one

2. Did you always imagine yourself doing this? Many times we had started off with a goal to become something totally different than who we ended up becomming down the road. If it wasnt Karmaloop, what would you think you would be doing?

I always wanted to start my own business, make money, and have influence didn't know it would be Karmaloop though...It has wound up how I imagined it because when I set out to do something I am gonna go big and take it as far as I can! If I wasn't doing Karmaloop I would either be a sushi chef or an urban planner which is what I did before I started Karmaloop.

3. Karmaloop is a globally familiar name. How did the word spread?

One person at a time over 10 years...we got up every day and tried to do the best we could and people where feeling it and kept spreading the word...we spend very little on marketing our customers and reps have made it happen

4. Fashion is unpredictable and changes rapidly. What do you think justifies what's in and what's not?

It is really simple looks that are new are in...looks that are old go out...but if you wait long enough they will be new again and come back in...a never ending cycle.

5. Karmaloop started off in a house basement. When you look back you can see you came a long way. Do you feel achieved or is there still a long road ahead for Karmaloop?

It started in my parents basement...it has been a struggle but in 2006 I finally broke even...but we have been growing from day 1.....if it all ended tomorrow I would say the ride was amazing...but I plan on taking shit to a whole new level...we are launching KarmaloopTV.cominto a cable channel, doing private labels, launching a social network for cultural creative's, and we are backing our first musical act the Bad Rabbits

6. Graphic t-shirts play a big role in Karmaloop. They reflect on the current urban culture's lifestyle with their art. Would you agree? What is your perspective on the importance of graphic t-shirts and their messages they promote to today's urban culture?

Graphic T-shirts started the whole streetwear game..they will always be one of the centers of the culture...graphic t-shirts is a message telling people what the wearer thinks, feels, and reps

7. What is your favorite Profound tee?

The Pardon My Swag T is beserk! That bear is one fly guy.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing when people can be so smart and so down to earth. love it

    ReplyDelete